Apple Harvest Cake with Caramel Sauce
- 1 package chopped dates, 8 ounce
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 1 1/2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup Butter or Margarine
- 2 1/2 cups unsweetened applesauce
- 2 Eggs
- 3 cup Flour
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- In small saucepan, combine dates and apple juice; heat to boiling, cool. In large mixer bowl, cream sugar and margarine until light and fluffy. Beat in applesauce and eggs. Combine flour, soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves; gradually stir into creamed mixture. Stir in date mixture and walnuts until well blended. Pour batter into greased and floured 12-cup Bundt pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean (50-60 minutes). Cool cake in pan 30 minutes; invert onto cooling rack, cool completely. To Serve: Spoon warm Caramel Sauce (below) over each piece.
Caramel Sauce: Combine 1 1/3 cups firmly packed brown sugar, 1/3 cup half-and-half, 1/4 cup corn syrup and 1/4 cup butter in heavy saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to boiling; boil 1 minute. Stir in 1 teaspoon vanilla. Serve warm.