- 5 pounds apples, peeled, cored, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground clove
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice to finish
In a medium heavy-bottomed pot, combine the apples, apple cider, apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, honey, cinnamon and clove and cook on low heat until apples are very soft, about 45 minutes.
Remove the apple mixture from the heat and using a stand blender or an immersion blender, purée it until it’s smooth.
Transfer the mixture back to pot if you are using a stand blender and cook it over medium-low heat until it turns a dark amber color and the texture is smooth, about 1 hour.
Season the apple butter with salt, stir in the lemon juice and remove it from the heat.
Allow the apple butter to cool and transfer it to the jar. Apple butter will keep for up to 6 weeks refrigerated.