Appetizer idea: Caramelized Onion & Apple Bruschetta
This sweet and savory appetizer is perfect for chilly fall evenings and is delicious served with a glass of Merlot.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 medium onions, sliced
- 3 tablespoon olive oil, divided
- scant ¼ cup apple brandy
- Lunds & Byerlys baguette
- 1-2 Honeycrisp or Haralson apples, thinly sliced
- shredded Gruyère
- Heat oven to 375 F.
- Add 1 tablespoon olive oil to a medium skillet and heat over medium-low. Add onions and let them caramelize, about 30-45 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add apple brandy and cook until evaporated.
- Brush slices of L&B baguette with remaining olive oil and bake for 3-5 minutes, until slightly browned.
- Remove from oven and top with onions, apple slices and shredded Gruyère. (Provolone and Brie also work well.)
- Return to oven and broil until cheese starts to melt, 2-4 minutes.