Angel Berry Trifle
- 3 cups raspberries
- 3 cups blueberries or blackberries
- 1 cup sliced strawberries
- 1/3 cup Baker’s ultrafine sugar
- 1 tablespoon raspberry-flavored liqueur
- 1 quart half-and-half
- 2/3 cup Baker’s ultrafine sugar
- 2 tablespoons Flour
- 12 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 angel food cake
- 3 tablespoons raspberry-flavored liqueur (Chambord)
This showy dessert tastes as good as it looks.
- Combine 2 cups raspberries, 2 cups blueberries and strawberries. Lightly crush berries; toss with 1/3 cup sugar and 1 tablespoon liqueur; set aside. Cover remaining berries; refrigerate. Scald half and half in heavy saucepan. In large mixer bowl, beat 2/3 cup sugar, flour and egg yolks until thick and lemon colored (about 5 minutes). Gradually beat in half and half. Return mixture to saucepan; cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, until thick enough to coat a metal spoon (about 12 minutes). Strain. Stir in vanilla and almond. Pour into large bowl; set bowl in ice water. Stir occasionally until cooled. Reserve 2 cups custard; refrigerate, covered. Divide angel food cake into 3 equal sections, tear into 2 inch pieces. Arrange 1/3 of cake pieces on bottom of trifle bowl; sprinkle with 1 tablespoon liqueur. Spoon 1/3 of berry mixture (about 1 1/3 cups) over cake; drizzle with 2/3 cup custard. Repeat layers twice. Spoon reserved raspberries and blueberries on top of trifle. Refrigerate, covered, several hours. Serve with reserved custard sauce.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.