- Preheat oven to 250 F. Spread bread cubes on large baking sheet. Bake until dry (50-55 minutes). (Can be made day ahead) Place bread cubes in large mixing bowl.
- Place wild rice, 8 cups water, 2 tablespoons wild rice seasoning and bay leaves in large saucepan. Bring to a hard boil. Reduce heat, cover tightly and boil gently for 30 minutes. Shut off heat, let stand on burner for 20-25 minutes. DRAIN EXCESS WATER AND DISCARD BAY LEAVES. Add rice to bowl with bread.
- In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add sausage, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon pepper and red pepper to skillet and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned (10-12 minutes). Using slotted spoon transfer sausage to bowl with bread and rice mixture. Discard any drippings.
- Melt ½ cup butter in same skillet; add onion, celery, carrots, remaining wild rice seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Cook 5 minutes, add mushrooms and cook until vegetables are soft (5-6 minutes). Transfer to bowl with bread rice mixture. Stir in sage and parsley .In bowl whisk together chicken broth, eggs, and remaining salt and pepper. Pour over stuffing; stir well to combine.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray 3 quart casserole dish with cooking spray. Spoon stuffing into dish. Melt remaining butter and pour over top of stuffing. Cover dish with foil. Bake 30 minutes; remove foil and bake until heated through and browned (30-35 minutes).
To Prepare Ahead
- Prepare stuffing up to point of baking (but do not bake) up to 2 days in advance; refrigerate, covered. Remove from refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Bake as directed above.
- Presented by Sue Erickson on KARE 11 on November 12, 2011
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.