- 1 (3 lbs) whole organic chicken
- 1 1/2 tbsp 1 tsp California Olive Ranch Olive Oil
- 2 teaspoons fresh rosemary, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds, crushed
- 1/2 tsp (divided) Lunds & Byerlys sea salt
- 1/2 tsp (divided) Black Pepper, fresh ground
- 1/2 lemon, sliced
- 4 cups red potatoes, halved and cut into 1/4
- 2 cups carrots, cut into 1/4
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 2 cups leeks, washed, halved and cut into 1
- 2 teaspoons garlic, minced
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Place chicken, breast side down, on a work surface. Starting at thigh end, cut along one side of backbone with kitchen shears. Turn chicken around; cut along other side. Discard or save backbone for stock. Flip chicken over and open it like a book. Press firmly on breastbone to flatten.
- Using your fingers, loosen skin from breast meat; tuck lemon slices under skin (optional). Rub 1 teaspoon olive oil all over the chicken. Season chicken with rosemary, crushed fennel seeds (use a knife or heavy pan to crush seeds), ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper.
- In a bowl, toss vegetables with 1 ½ tablespoons olive oil, garlic, ¼ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon ground pepper. Spread vegetables in an even layer on a roasting/baking sheet. Place a cooling rack on top of vegetables and place chicken, breast side up, on top of cooling rack.
- Roast chicken until juices run clear when pierced between breast and leg (an instant-read thermometer should read 165 degrees when inserted in thickest part of a thigh, avoiding bone), about 30-40 minutes. Let rest 5 minutes before carving. Remove skin before eating. Squeeze with fresh lemon juice if desired before serving.
- Calories: 430 Total Fat: 13g Saturated Fat: 2.5g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 115mg Sodium: 500mg Carbohydrate: 40g Fiber: 7g Sugars: 7g Protein: 41g **Nutrition information is calculated with skin removed**
- Nutrition content of this recipe is calculated by a registered dietitian nutritionist. Due to variations in ingredients and measurements, values are approximations. Nutrients provided for this recipe represent values based on the best available information. This information is not intended to treat or diagnose. Please consult your physician for diet recommendations specific to your personal needs.
Optional ingredients: 2 lemon slices to tuck under chicken skin while roasting, lemon wedges for squeezing over chicken