- Mix cracker crumbs and melted margarine. Reserve 1/4 cup of mixture for topping.
- Put thin layer of cracker crumb mixture in shallow 9 X 13 baking pan.
- Make 2 layers by alternating oysters with crumb mixture. Sprinkle each layer with nutmeg and pepper.
- Combine oyster liquid and enough milk to make 3/4 cup. Gently pour liquid over casserole. Sprinkle with reserved crumbs.
- Bake covered at 450 degrees for 30 minutes.
Recipe Adjustments for Scalloped Oyster Casserole:
Select diet; follow recipe using substitutions below.
Reduced Sodium: Use low salt crackers. 366 mg sodium per serving.
Reduced Cholesterol & Reduced Calorie: Reduce serving size to 1/16 of recipe. 42 mg cholesterol and 262 calories per serving.
Diabetic Exchange (for original recipe): 1 meat exchange & 1 starch exchange & 5 fat exchanges per serving.