- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 2 (28ounce) cans Muir Glen Organic Fire Roasted Crushed Tomatoes
- 3 cups 1/3 less sodium chicken broth, or vegetable broth
- 1 bulb roasted garlic, cloves removed and smashed
- 1 teaspoon Kosher Salt
- 1/4 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- freshly shaved Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Roasted tomatoes give this soup an enticing flavor.
- In Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onions and saute until golden (10-12 minutes). Deglaze pan with wine and reduce until almost dry (2-4 minutes). Add tomatoes, broth, smashed garlic, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 35-40 minutes. Add fresh herbs; remove from heat. Transfer to soup bowls. Garnish with shaved cheese.
- Tip: Leftover soup may be refrigerated up to 2 days or frozen up to 1 month. Reheat soup in the microwave or in a saucepan over medium heat until soup reaches 165 F.
- To Roast Garlic: Select a bulb of garlic; slice off top 1/4. Arrange in center of square of foil; drizzle with 2 teaspoons olive oil. Fold foil around garlic; seal. Bake in a preheated 350 F oven until tender (about 1 hour); cool. May be made up to 2 days ahead; store, covered, in refrigerator.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.