- Tomato-Chipotle Sauce:
- 2 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil
- 3 shallots, minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 4 cup organic tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon Lunds & Byerly’s Chili Pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon Lunds & Byerly’s Chipotle Chili Pepper
- 1 cup organic Imagine No-Chicken Broth
- Caramelized Pumpkin and Onion:
- 3 tablespoons cold pressed extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cups uncooked organic pie pumpkin, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 cup finely diced organic yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh garlic
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup organic Imagine No-Chicken Broth
- 1 (16ounce) package Full Circle™ 100% Organic Whole Wheat Spaghetti
- roasted, salted pepitas for garnish
- freshly grated Parmesan cheese for garnish (omit if making vegan)
The sweetness of caramelized pumpkin and onion combines with the spiciness of fresh tomato-chili sauce to create a deliciously well-balanced and vegetarian whole grain pasta dish.
- To prepare the sauce: Heat olive oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat; sauté shallots and garlic until translucent. Stir in tomatoes, cook 3-4 minutes. Stir in salt, pepper, cumin, chili pepper and chipotle pepper; simmer 3-4 minutes. Add broth; bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 10 minutes.
- To prepare caramelized pumpkin and onion: Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in heavy skillet over medium-high heat until fragrant. Stir in pumpkin and onion; cook until caramelized and tender (7-8 minutes), stirring often. Stir in garlic, salt and pepper; cook 1-2 minutes. Add broth; stir well to deglaze pan. Cook pasta as directed on package, drain and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Serving suggestion: Mound pasta on plates, creating an indentation in the middle. Spoon pumpkin into center of pasta. Spoon sauce on pasta around pumpkin. Garnish with pepitas and Parmesan.
- Tip: If pumpkins are not available, substitute butternut squash.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.