- 1 Lunds & Byerlys Fresh Turkey, 10 to 12 pound
- 1 package fresh marjoram, leaves removed, 1 ounce
- 1 package fresh thyme, leaves removed, 1 ounce
- 1 package fresh basil, snipped, 1 ounce
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tablespoon Kosher Salt
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 6 medium orange slices, (1/4-inch thick)
- cooking twine
- aluminum foil
- Remove neck and giblets from cavities. Rinse turkey with cold water; drain and pat dry with paper towels. Remove pop-up timer. In small bowl, combine herbs; reserve 1/4 cup for Herb Gravy with Madeira (recipe below). Stir in olive oil, salt, orange zest and pepper. Gently run hand under turkey skin to loosen. Life skin on each side and gently pull back to center (breast bone); be sure skin is still attached at breast bone. Dip orange slices in herb mixture to coat. Carefully arrange orange slices under skin to cover top of turkey. Pull skin over orange slices and tuck under breast or fasten with skewers along edges of breast. Rub remaining herb mixture over entire turkey. Using cooking twine, tie wings and legs to body of turkey. Line shallow roasintg pan with foil. Place turkey, breast side up, on rack in shallow roasting pan. Cover loosely with a tent of foil. Roast in a preheated 325 F oven until internal temperature of thigh reaches 180 F and internal temperature of breast reaches 170 F using an instant-read thermometer (3 to 3 1/2 hours). Remove foil after 2 hours to brown turkey. Let stand, covered, 15 to 20 minutes before carving.
Tip: To get an accurate temperature reading, thermometer should not touch bone.
Beverage Recommendation: Monmousseau Vouvray