- 1 pound dried great northern or navy beans, rinsed
- 6 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 teaspoon chicken stock base
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon Vegetable Oil
- 7 cloves garlic, minced
- 2(4 ounce) cans diced fire-roasted green chilies
- 2.5 teaspoons cumin
- 2 teaspoons dried Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 4 cups shredded chicken, cooked
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- Rinse beans and combine with the broth and stock base in a large stockpot. Simmer, covered, until beans are tender (about 2 hours). Saute onions in oil until golden in color; add garlic and cook for 1 minute. Drain the chilies and add to the onion mixture along with the cumin, oregano and cayenne. Mix well. Add onion mixture and chicken to the stockpot. Simmer 20-30 minutes until the beans are soft. Salt and pepper to taste. Add sour cream and Monterey Jack cheese; continue cooking until cheese melts. Serve with optional garnishes.
- Chopped green onions, fresh cilantro leaves, lime wedges, diced tomatoes (roma or grape), chopped fresh serrano chilies.
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.