- Cut onion into thin half circle slices. Melt butter in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onions and sugar, tossing until coated in butter. Cook slowly over medium to medium-low heat, making sure the onions don’t burn or brown too quickly, for 35-45 minutes. During the last 10 minutes, add the baking soda, stirring to combine.
- While the onions are cooking, you can also cook the beef and bacon. To cook the bacon, you can do this on a separate skillet on the stove, or in the oven. For the oven method: Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Place bacon on aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until bacon is crisp to your liking. Let cool.
- To cook the beef, pat steak dry with paper towel and season with salt and pepper. Heat olive oil over medium high heat. Once hot, add the steak. Cook 3-4 minutes on each side, or until steak is cooked to your liking.
- Chop bacon and steak into bite-sized pieces. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To assemble, place half of the caramelized onions on each flatbread crust. Divide steak and bacon between each flatbread, laying out evenly. Top each flatbread with half of the mozzarella and blue cheese. Bake in preheated oven for 12-15 minutes, until crust is golden brown and cheese is melted.
- Note: I used a pre-made flatbread crust. If making your own, follow the baking instructions from the recipe, and just make sure you have the toppings on the crust for at least 10 minutes in the oven so the cheese can melt.
- Recipe by: greens & chocolate | http://www.greensnchocolate.com/
* Recipes created for given quantity. Changes to quantities are for planning purposes only and have not been tested.